Cavtat is a town of 2.000 inhabitants 19 km southeast of Dubrovnik. It was settled in Greek times as Epidaurum, and later in 228 BC by the Romans as Epidaurus. It was bought by Dubrovnik in 1426 and it became the second and important centre of the Republic.
Although it is a nice place it is often considered as an alternative to Dubrovnik, a little quieter but close enough. Several famous Croatians were born there, there are a number of monuments, palaces, villas, and Roman remains worth a visit.
Yachts usually find a berth in one of the two bays of the harbour.